Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Okay, because of the recent popularity and the movie that have been atached to this book, along with the comparison to To Kill a Mockingbird, I decided to pick this one up.

The Help is about an ambitious college graduate, Skeeter (Played by Emma Stone in the movie), who wants to write. She's hired at the Jackson Journal, but writing a housekeeping advice colum isn't what she had in mind. After some thought and advice from a New York City editor, she decides that she wants to write a book of interviews about black housekeepers and their white bosses. The good and the bad. And in the early 60s in Jackson, Mississippi, you can't get much more dangerous or scandalous than that.

My personal thoughts on this one? I absolutely loved it. It was sad and funny and intimate in the same breath. I actually figured it would be sadder than it actually was, because when my English teacher saw me reading it, she said, "I couldn't stop crying at all during that book!"

Drama queen.

Yeah, this one didn't make me cry (although the movie came close), but it's still an excellent book. Well-paced plot, beautifully crafted characters--some that you want to hug and some that you want to hit with a sledgehammer--and a few other elements made this one of my favorite books of all time. Read it.

You is kind. You is smart. You is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Also thank you for thinking of me, but please do not give any awards that require passing on to other blogs. I simply do not have the time.