Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Why Cafe by John P. Strelecky

In a small cafe at a location so remote it sits in the middle of the middle of nowhere, John--a man in a hurry--is at a crossroads. Intent only on refueling before moving along on his road trip, he finds sustenance of an entirely different kind. In addition to the specials of the day, the cafe menu lists three questions all diners are encourage to consider.  Why are you here? Do you fear death? Are you fulfilled. With this food for thought and the guidance of three people he meets at the cafe, John embarks on a journey of self-discovery that takes him from the executive suites of the advertising world to the surf of Hawaii's coastline. Along the way he discovers a new way to look at life, himself, and just how much you can learn from a green sea turtle. 

I really went back and forth on whether or not I liked this book...the writing is not bad, and it's a very slender volume that, if you wanted to, you could easily read in one setting, but I did not do this. I don't feel like this was a failure on my part as a reader. The book was by no means riveting...it was one of those books that makes you think you should feel good about yourself, but the real problem I had with it was the plot...it just wasn't interesting, and that was because once the main character is at the cafe, all that really happens is he gets asked those three questions that are on the back of the book. There's no real conflict, I mean he gets confused about the questions, but I don't really count that as conflict, and then there's this really out there magic element that I'll let you see for yourself, but it wasn't quite explained in the book. That was because the character wasn't supposed to know, but come on, you can't just have characters read other character's mind and the other character is only minorly weirded out by it, and just takes it with a grain of salt...Right? I mean, if somebody READ YOUR FREAKING MIND, you wouldn't just be like what??? Oh well. No, you'd be like What the FUCK? Did you just read my MIND? You can't just throw that in there and then never say anything about it again! Sorry, that bothers me sooo much. I really wanted to looooove this book, but at the end, it's just another book that I didn't love, but I didn't hate. It was just 'meh'.

And maybe this simply isn't my kind of book, because I seem to be in the minority here. But this is my honest opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Also thank you for thinking of me, but please do not give any awards that require passing on to other blogs. I simply do not have the time.