Monday, March 19, 2012

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

From Goodreads: It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.


My Review: There is only one way to review this book for me, and that is to tell you how my emotions were throughout it.
Beginning: I was thinking, "Oh, okay, so Markus Zusak can write. That's really cool."
Middle: "Wait, DEATH is narrating this? The eff? That's so cool! And this is a super interesting book."
Middle-end: "Something tells me I'm going to be really sad really soon."
End: "BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWH. Why?"

Why, Markus Zusak? Why must you reduce me to mush with this book? Gawd. I was bawling at the end. Like a freaking baby. And books NEVER make me cry, unless they're this, The Kite Runner, or, okay, I cried a bit during The Fault in Our Stars. To me, that signifies nothing other than great writing!

I won't tell you the line, becuase it *may* spoil the ending for you if you're a thinker, but it was this one thing that Death said in his narrative that just made me go WAAAAAAAH.

Oh my god. This is a bad review. But that just tells you how I feel about this book. It stepped all over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Also thank you for thinking of me, but please do not give any awards that require passing on to other blogs. I simply do not have the time.