Saturday, April 16, 2011

Crash Into Me by Albert Borris

Albert Borris writes fearlessly about the ever so true world of teen suicide in Crash Into Me.

The book begins with Owen embarking on a road trip with three other angsty teens--Frank, Audrey, and Jin-Ae--whom he met on the internet. Most of them have already tried to kill themselves. Some of them are just seriously effed up.
Owen has a dark secret that has always haunted him that makes him want to kill himself. He is the main protagonist.
Audrey, the victim of too much 'love' from her father, becomes one of the dominating characters of the book. At first, I thought that I would hate her character. How wrong I was. By the end of the book, I felt so sorry for her.
Jin-Ae is a lesbian who fears her parents' reaction to her sexuality. Her character, while seeming childish at times, helped a lot to drive the book along.
Frank, an underachieving athlete, feels he will never live up to high expectations. He often seemed to be the most unstable one of the book.
Together, they road trip across America to visit celebrity suicide sites or graves. At the end of their trip, they plan to end it all in Death Valley. The trip, and their lives. It's so symbolic, eh? But will they go through with it? Or will they find a reason to live?

2 comments:

  1. I've been curious about this one, and even though some of the symbolism sounds kind of cheeky, I'm intrigued. Thanks for the review =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! It's always great for a review of mine to make somebody want to go on and read something. This book exceeded my expectations, I hope that it's the same way for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. Also thank you for thinking of me, but please do not give any awards that require passing on to other blogs. I simply do not have the time.