Thursday, July 28, 2011

Paper Towns by John Green

This book is one that I have meant to pick up for a while. When I was in Pigeon Forge, TN, I found this awesome bookstore with really cheap prices on brand new books, and I found this hardcover copy, with the blue cover that I had never seen before, for six bucks! I like the blue cover better than the yellow one, which I see all the time, so I picked the book up.
Paper Towns picks up speed when Margo Roth Speigelman, Quentin Jacobsen's dream girl, arrives at his window at nighttime and tells him to go with her. At first, he is hesitant, but come on, this is the famed Margo Roth Speigelman, so he has to go. Through the night, they learn things about each other and have a great time, and Quentin wonders, will that night change how things are between them?
And then Margo dissapears. Which shouldn't be that big of a deal, because she's always going off on these wacky adventures. But this time, she's eighteen. Nothing can be done to bring her back, because she has free will. And what if this time, she doesn't come back on her own? So Q sets out to find her...
One of my favorite things about this book is the writing. Everything is very well thought out, and the book is somehow humerous and serious at the same time. I can't tell you how many times I actually laughed out loud at this book, getting me many odd looks from my mom. Every character is well thought out, and some have quirky details. For example, one of Quentin's friends' parents have the largest collection of black Santas. That same friend is an obsessive mod of a site called Omnictionary. Also, this book is loaded with metaphors and allusion, mostly to a poem by Walt Whitman. If you like that stuff, read this.
This book gets my 5 star review, because it's absolutely awesome. READ IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. Also thank you for thinking of me, but please do not give any awards that require passing on to other blogs. I simply do not have the time.